Office update... new console and artwork!

9:00 AM

Last we left off here, I had just put up a whole lotta frames on the wall I face in my office.
You may notice from the reflection above, it was a slow day and Im hiding my hair in a hat and not wearing any makeup I put some new artwork behind my desk!
 The two sconces are super finds from the Dallas World Trade Center (Its like a huge 14 story shopping mall but all wholesale for retail stores and interior designers.   You can't get in unless you have an appointment or work there (my rep group has a showroom) but on the 1st Monday/Tuesday of every month, its open to the general public and some of the stores sell their samples; most times, 50% off wholesale!)  I scooped these pretty babies up for $15 each :-)

The actual map/artwork is a HomeGoods find.
 $29.99 and just adorable!  I love maps and all the different colors definitely play with my plethora of frames (...+5pts for me incorporating "plethora" into a blog post)

But back to my wall and the somewhat dead-space underneath the mirror.
 Rocky photo bomb...
...(insert Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercial music)..."For just $0.25 a day, you can help feed this poor dog and the blogger he lives with"
Love that pup... Do I get a little antsy that he follows me wherever I go (aka. the kitchen, the office, the bathroom, etc)? Maybe... But with big-innocent eyes like that, he could probably get away with murder.

After I called summoned begged pulled Rocky out of the shot, this view from the door gives you a better idea of the empty space.
Knowing this wasnt something that HAD to be done right away, I casually have been browsing Craigslist the past couple weeks to see if I could get a console or buffet for a good price or find something to rehab.

2.5 weeks and $30 later... I got this guy.
 Granted, not that handsome. (Chris picked it up for me since I was out of town and even HE was majorly doubting my decision.  Really wasnt a fan of the octagons.)

But I liked it for a few reasons.
1. Its solid wood
2. Its only a few years old from Pier 1 Imports.
3. It was big enough for my space
4. It was $30... I mean come on....

It honestly wasnt in too bad of shape to keep the original wood tone, but with my desk being the large wood piece in the room, I didnt want the two different tones to fight.

Solution? Paint...
 Martha Stewart Living: Hosta to be exact.

It wasnt TOO bright, in fact, I kind of liked the dull tone, but a solid blue would definitely still liven up the space.

Just to make sure it would go, I took the swatch and tested it with different things in the room.
 The mirror... duh, it would look good with white.

And my Restoration Hardware chairs.
 Still looks fancy!

Im not in TOTAL love with my office wall color (we painted it when we thought this room was going to be Chris's Man Cave) but the khaki color is still work able.

I then began to prep my piece... hardware off (and in a plastic bag) and doors and everything good and whipped down.
  I just used a can of spray paint primer to give the paint something to hold on to (a bit easier to use than liquid primer and definitely not as messy)
I then got to use my fun new toy, the Graco HVLP 2900.
This is just the stock photo since I am too lazy to walk out to our garage right now
It worked EXCELLENT and was super easy to use!

I've been looking for an inbetween of spray paint and gobbing on liquid paint with a brush... SO happy we made the investment!  We bought ours from Lowe's at it has glowing reviews if you want to read about it HERE.

After one coat...
And the doors all pretty and done...
I love how it gave it such a nice even coat!  The finish is great!

As with every piece that I paint and later plan to put objects on top of, I sealed it with a water based poly coat.
Remember: VERY important to use water base poly when putting it over PAINTED furniture.  If you use oil based, it will turn you paint yellow over time.

Water based - paint
Oil based - stains

After everything was dry, I brought him inside and set him up...
Yes, I blurred out the mirror.  I had a facial peel a couple days before and still looked like I had leprosy even with a camera in front of my face... I dont think the internet is ready for that.
Ta-da!!! I LOVE HIM!!!
The tealy-blueish-turquoise color turned out FAN-freakin-TASTIC and definitely helps accent the wall instead of stealing all the attention from it.

I adorned it with a few knick-knacks...
And my prized possession... my Super Bowl XLII ball...
Names include Phil Simms, Randy Cross, Tony Dorsett, and Hines Ward
Back in college, I was a Journalism major wanting to get into Sports Broadcasting.  By an act of GOD I landed an internship in NYC with CBS Sports during the summer going into my senior year.  I called my boss the following winter to check-in and wish him Merry Christmas and he randomly hired me over the phone to go and work the Super Bowl for them. ("Work" aka. be a production assistant and make sure everyone was where the needed to be.)  I was a pretty much a glorified chauffeur that got to hang out on set, but they were REALLY cool about it and even helped me shoot my demo tape.
Yes, that's me and Super Bowl XL MVP Hines Ward... nicest. guy. alive.  He stayed an extra half hour to shoot my demo. A+ for that man.

Even though I'm no longer in the sports broadcasting world (I quit ESPN back in March '09 and moved to Dallas... one can only take so much SportsCenter and shifts lasting til 2am) I still LOVE that football and the great memories of the experience... sigh...

But I am BEYOND blessed to have a fantastic job, sexy husband, terrific friends, and my little house.
Here's the new view when you walk in.

For $30 and $7 for paint, I couldnt be happier with it!
Here's the before/after for ya...
What do you guys think?  Do you like the color? Would you have picked something different?  Do you have any prized possessions that you display oh-so-proudly?  I would love to hear some stories!!

-Samm













You Might Also Like

29 comments

  1. Lovely!
    You have such knack for decor and DIY.
    Though I have a issue with walls full of frames (I bore too quick and as soon I achieved the look I'm already craving the empty wall) I love the way yours turned up.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. UMMM...its amazing!!! I LOVE IT! I LOVE THE OCTAGONS!! You did a great job!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Lura
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might have been cute to put baskets where the doors were and maybe use it as a bench, since it's more of a bench height.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute piece! I love the color and I'm still drooling over those restoration hardware chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new piece and the wall looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blue you picked! GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this piece! And the color is fantastic! ... Yep I'm more than a little jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fellow Texas blogger (McKinney) and new follower who has to make a run to home goods now for that cool map of the USA!! Steeler fan too so lovin the smiles with Ward!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just love, love, love it! I saw your post in the TX Bloggers FB goup! You've got an awesome blog! You can check my bloggy out at http://lifeoflt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl! Just caught your blog from the TX Bloggers FB group and am now following you! LOVE LOVE LOVE the paint color and your finished product! I think the khaki wall is actually beautiful to accent all the colors and the bright white mirror you've got. Lovely work!

    Hope you'll stop by and visit over at my blog! I'll be posting a before and after focal wall post soon enough!

    Sarah B Texas @ City Girl Gone Country

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I love the blue :) And that map is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the paint color, but I think if it were mine I would have left the doors off, taken out the middle shelf so there were just 3 square holes, then put baskets in each compartment. I'm with Chris, not feeling the octagons. But for $30 you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The colour is gorgeous and it really transformed that piece. Great wall with the frames and pretty mirror too. The console would work great as a media cabinet too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks fabulous! And I love the cute map too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the console is gorgeous- great find with a great new color!!! and love the artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Congrats on your Craigslist find {that hasn't happened for me yet} - you did a fab job with the paint, too. I enjoyed hearing about your Football story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just gorgeous - and a perfect color for your office - love love love it
    Your newest follower - would love to have you visit and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love everything about your office. THe map art, the big white mirror, and most of all that awesome console! Love the color, the shape and even those octagons! I only know Hines Ward from dancing with the stars, but he is such a cutie and seems like a real class act. I'd love for you to stop over at my brand new, itty bitty blog and take a look around if you feel so inclined. Have a great day!
    Stacia@http://feathersandsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your office update and the color you picked! Thanks so much for linking up at Do Something Crafty Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great makeover - I love the colour! And what a cool ball to have displayed!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your post so much that I'm featuring it on tonight's Make it Great party over at Etcetorize! Come on and grab a featured button. I hope you'll link up again~

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful!!! LOVE that map! And the console makeover turned out just lovely!!! We featured it today from the Fancy This Fridays party at Truly Lovely! Thanks for sharing!!! http://www.trulylovelyblog.net/2012/09/fancy-this-features-91/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely beautiful. I will be featuring it tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. great job it looks fabulous now the whole wall looks great what an awesome office

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Samm: What a gorgeous turquoise blue color you selected--I will have to make a note of that color--so pretty. Your console is just perfect for the space under the large mirror. I think it definitely holds its own and does work as a beautiful accent in the room. Quite a change from what it started out like! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Terrific and beautiful make-over. The octagon looks pretty now with its new paint. Love that color too.

    We'd like to invite you to share your creation at Pin It Monday Hop.
    Here's the link:
    http://pursuitoffunctionalhome.com/2013/08/live-pin-it-monday-hop20.html

    Btw, you have a new follower in Pinterest.

    I hope to see you at the hop.

    Judy
    www.pursuitoffunctionalhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the color! But if I am going to try it out, I think I might use turquoise or sky blue, just my opinion anyway. Since we are going to transfer to a new office space Singapore I'll suggest to my boss to repaint our old cabinets and computer tables. In this way, we will be able to save money and can allot the fund to other office matters. Thanks for sharing this post Samm!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good idea yas. The cute frames at the back just added the complete work of art. No problem with the color as long as it jives on the interior unlike other mixed development here in singapore. Pretty boring. I only I have the budget right now I will be the one to fix its interior. Above all, your set up is cool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images