A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Loads of Laundry

9:25 AM

As you could probably guess by the title of this post, we're about to go through the makeover we just did on one of the most important smallest rooms of the house... our laundry room. 
 This is what it looks like most of the time... dirty, gross, and with a random box of kleenex on the floor that I refuse to pick up because I know it will fall again.

Here is a prettier picture that the previous realtor took:
Hmm... well, not really much prettier...

Its a SUPER small room (about 4.5 x 7), right off our kitchen, that leads to the driveway and garage.

Here's a view from the kitchen
And no... those paper "frame holders" to the right are not still up... I took them down moments before our St. Patricks day party... so no worries.

And just for kicks, here are the stairs (on the left) that door leads to out from our laundry room, to the driveway/garage...
Thanks again for the picture realtor person!

But back to reality, here are some more awesome "before" pictures...
 More poop tootsie-roll brown flooring! HOORAY!
 And for storage? We had a teenie, tiny shelfing unit that I have been dragging around with me since my junior year at OU...
 Its uneven, it wobbles, its 6 years old... and like a toddler beauty queen, it was time for her to retire and be replace by some one thing cuter.

Another thing that had to go... the blinds... the cheap, $4 kind... they seriously make me cringe 
 Together, they equal one ugly 1.5ft of laundry room...
 We knew we wanted to redo the flooring and install awesome Traverine tile that we bought at the Granite and Marble Auction which we also put in my office a couple weeks ago, so taking out the washer and dryer was step 1... but where-o-where should we put the dryer?? The Kitchen??? GREAT IDEA!!!
Naturally...

Already looking better though!
Random Brackets on the other side of the wall? Yea, taking those down too...
Next was the Big Ol Washer... we had to unplug everything from the wall and were left with this...
Yeaaa... gross...

But then we had to find a home for our washing machine to live for the next couple days... Since the dryer had already staked his claim in the kitchen, our washer chose the dining room...
Yea, please dont pay any attention to the complete and utter mess around it... oh look! What a pretty chandelier! (distraction)
Back to our laundry room, Chris also started cleaning out the vent which leads all the hot air outside...
If you are eating anything, I recommend you stop because this is about to get gross right now...
Seriously, dry heaving right now...
After taking two pictures and refusing to come back until it was all picked up, Chris yelled at me down the hall "Hey, while we're at it, you think we should replace the baseboards? They're pretty bad".

I decided to take his word for it since I was NOT going back into Icky-Icky-Dirty Land and gave him the "Sure, why not".

Next thing I heard, was **Crack**Breaking Noise**... and "#^%$!!!" from Chris...
Apparently, when trying to remove the base boards, dry wall decided to come off with it...
Normally, this shouldnt happen...(duh)...No one wants to see pink insulation starring them in the face when moments ago we were talking about "just" baseboards.

Since this house is old (cirra 1940) and we have NO idea when this laundry room extension was added, we came to the conclusion there must have been a water leak from the washer some time ago and it had seeped into the walls...

The good news: no mold... Hooray!

The bad news: we were going to have to replace the drywall that was soft and falling apart.

Chris's Good News: He got to break out his wall saw...


Almost as though a bat signal in the sky was released with a picture of a hammer, Chris's dad showed up outta no where.
The "fix-it signal" may or may not have been Chris just calling his dad to come over and help with tile, but his timing was oddly appropriate that when we start tearing down walls, Chris's dad shows up... LOVE him...

They decided to remove all dry wall about 24 inches up from all three walls...


I wasn't freaking out or anything... no... i was FINE... cool as a cucumber... ... ... ... I may have had to been sedated...

It even looked like this at one point...
But after the smoke/dusty/drywall had settled, we were left with it looking like this...

Remember: this is DAY 1 of what should have been just a "tiling project"...
The next day, after leaving the house to avoid having a stroke every time I shimmied passed the drier in the kitchen and looking into the room, I came home to a MUCH better site...
WHOO HOO!!! No more holes in the wall... and the poop toosie roll flooring was being covered up!!... oh HAPPY freakin' DAY!!!!

I then broke out my best dancing moves, with camera in hand, in front of Chris to celebrate:
I'm convinced Seinfeld stole this dance idea from my mother... not. joking.

Thank goodness Chris just smiles at me when I act weird... I'm about 50% sure he knew what he was getting into when he married me...
But back to the tiling...

And a quick look at what was giving me grey hair, at the age of 26, outside that little room...

Finally, just as when Chris thought the tile was about to beat him, we came to the finishing pieces...
And I use "we" loosely...

But the next day, hazah! it looked killer...

Oh laundry room, you get DOWN with your tiled self...
Alas, "we"... **cough**Chris**cough**... had to keep fixing the drywall so it didnt look so patchy...

And then came the grout....
To make it all pretty and finished...
Wax on, wax off my husband... wipe on, wipe off...

And the result? I mean, come on, really?... really? 
And the next day after I wiped off the haze, even better...
Again, Chris and I used an impregnating sealer to make sure we got deep down into the porous tile just in case there was any water issues in the future...

The next day? PAINT!!!
We decided on the same color as the kitchen...
Even though its a light grey, it made a WORLD of difference...

Still, even with the same paint trying to transition from the kitchen to the laundry, it was still missing something...
That something, we decided, is bead board that was in the kitchen that just STOPPED when it reached the laundry room...

So Chris and his dad pulled up the baseboards... this time without the wall attached...



And put up THIS beauty...
Even on the side wall

See... now the transition even looks a LOT more seamless...
Chris's dad also replaced the blinds...
See what a difference faux wood blinds make???
Oh and the bead-board looks amazing...
And lets not forget about the floor...

The only thing missing from this room now? Storage... and a blank spot to fill...
We had gone back and forth with what type of storage to put in here... We only had about 20" or so. Maybe some unfinished cabinets from Home Depot?
Home Depot Unfinished Cabinet
We thought it would have been pretty easy to paint and install some hardware on... BUT... we would also have to do all the work and after everything we've done so far (HELLO! we had HOLES in our walls!!!) we were looking for something that would require a little less effort on our part that was under $200.

Enter Ikea...
Picture from HERE
Now, I know what your thinking... Ikea? gross... its going to fall apart in a couple days/weeks and they are really poor quality... but when I saw this online, I figured it was at least worth a drive up to Frisco...
Pax Wardrobe
Almost the same thing as Home Depot, but already painted white and $70 cheaper...

And when I got to the store, I decided all the options we could put INSIDE were perfect for what we needed....
 Plus at 19" wide, 23" deep, and 93" tall it would be a perfect filler for that space...

The only dilemma? Picking out a door (... yea, it didnt come with a door,  you had to buy it separately... along with the hinges... nickel and dimed us a bit, but it STILL came out cheaper that the unfinished Home Depot version...)
I thought the door on the left would be a little more formal, but I kinda liked how the window one made it feel a little more open... and for such a tiny space, that would probably be the way to go.
Plus, you could build these little window boxes with it, which I thought was pretty cute.

****(I reserve this space for the 45 minutes it took for me to check out, put two 96" boxes (thats 8ft) which weigh 65lbs and 50lbs respectfully, in the car, by myself, IN THE RAIN... ... ... ... Lesson learned? NEVER go to Ikea by yourself... I may or may not have called Chris crying DEMANDING that a fresh margarita be waiting for me when I get home)****

The next day when we finally got it out of the box and put together...
yea, it barely fit at the top... but last time I checked, "barely" is still in...

Next stop, the door...
And the roll-out wire baskets (which I LOVE!!! great for dirty shoes!!)
Wire baskets
And all the drawers
Pax shelves
We wanted to make sure there was enough room height wise for what we needed... ie paper towels, toilet paper... detergent and cleaning supplies on lower shelves
lookin' good...
Did I mention how much I love our wire baskets??
Finally, I put back the window frame turned picture frame I made (as described HERE)...
Also put up Gus and Rocky's leash holders...
I dont know why Im so oddly proud about these, but I found these letters a while back at Michaels in the dollar bin then spray painted them yellow... might switch to a different color, not quite sure
Here's a better picture of how it looks now... and put together and what not...
The ONLY thing bugging me about the new pantry and the washer/dryer was the uneven balance...
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the extra storage and since Chris and I are both over 6ft, we have no problem reaching things, but with the pantry being higher than the washer/dryer, it just seemed uneven.

Once again, enter Ikea....I forgot to take a picture when I was actually there... but here's what I found via their website:

It looks a little light in this picture, but it had some great earthy-tones to it so I figured I might as well try and see how two of 'em would look up top...
 AAANNNNDDDD I love them...
Self high-five...

I've decided I'll use it store a lot of my extra fabric and buralp I have hanging around the house... but I just love how it balances everything out and breaks up all the white a bit...
 Still not sure how I feel about the light (Chris REALLY likes it) and I really did too, but now that we have so much going on toward the ceiling, I'm thinking a can light maybe a little better and not as "squished" looking... who knows, it may grow on me...

But all in all, we're DONE!!! I know that was a super long post, but this project took at LOT longer than we original thought ("its just tile, we can do it in a weekend".... It took a FULL week)

But we LOVE IT!! We call it our "grown-up room"...  like grown-ups live here and not some 20-somethings playing house...

Maybe you just had to see how TRUELY gross it was before, but we like it love it are obsessed now.

And because you all have been waiting so patiently, here is the before/after picture....

Disclaimer: Sorry but the light in the laundry room is REALLY orange/yellow which makes it super hard to white balance and I'm still learning about my Canon Rebel T2i... I'll take better pics in the future I promise...

So what did you guys think?? Have you ever started a project then have part of the wall cave in on you? Do you think the bead board and the tile work together? Are you an Ikea hater but maybe willing to give it a second chance (we are SOO happy we did!)

I would love to hear from you all!!!

You Might Also Like

86 comments

  1. Samm,

    I love every aspect of this transformation. I also love how you said "we" is a term you use loosely. I do the same thing with my husband...lol. I'm pinning these ideas! :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You guys are so creative and I think your hubby is a really good sport! I'm imagining a few swear words, made by my husband, when I think about us being in the same situation. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable Samm.... this is fantastic. EVERY bit of it. You should do this for a living in other peoples houses (when you're done with your own)! I hope Greg sees this so he knows what he's getting into ;) You're lucky to have such a handyman!! And he is so willing to help!! "Might as well replace the floor boards too" yeah right if I every heard that coming out of Greg's mouth I would jump for joy! What is your secret?? xoxox Another job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Cassie! Yea I got really lucky marrying a handy man! Im sure Greg is handy too! Chris and I had no idea what we were doing until we bought the house and just started guessing!! Can't wait to see you in June!

      Delete
  4. Great job Samm!! Looks amazing! I love Ikea. My husband and I went last week and boy was he cursing the directions when he started putting everything together. Hopefully, your husband had an easier time than mine did:) BTW, where did you get your curtains in the dining room?? Cute..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison!

      The curtains are from Z Gallerie that I got on clearance about a month ago... I just looked online and didnt see the EXACT same ones, but they still have some that are super cute... here's the link! http://www.zgallerie.com/c-34-drapery-panels.aspx?pagenum=0

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, it looks amazing! I am heading to Ikea soon with my husband in tow (and no kids!), but even so, a margarita at the end of it would be perfect. Your hubby did a great job, and how is it that his dad was so perfectly timed! I love how it all turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! The baskets on top were the perfcet finishing touches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, it looks so good!!! What a huge change!! That floor is to die for. And I'm sure you're loving all the new storage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samm, I am so proud of you! I have been following your blog and you are seriously doing so well! I love it! Way to go all out for this little laundry room - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one heck of an odd space to work with. I complain about my hallway laundry closet, but I had nothing on this space. Really nice work finding a solution to your storage problems. I love the floors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your tile selection! And everything else also. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya'll did an excellent job :)Love everything from the blinds to the floors! All your hard work paid off and it looks great! Now following your cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, I am completely intrigued with what you've accomplished. (Okay, I mean what CHRIS has accomplished .. and his amazing dad!) LOVE the transformation. I like your light, but I really love bright light in my laundry room, so had my hubby install a big square ceiling hugging light fixture from Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember) that has fluorescent light, which I love because I can see every single little stain and spot that needs spraying prior to washing. I'm also blown away by how much you two accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That space rocks! You've done it again girl! Really looks nice. I love the beadboard (good call) and I like the way you evened out your storage. I know this probably sounds weird, but isn't it nice doing your laundry in that room now??? LOL.. It's kinda like how your car runs better when it's all clean and detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the bead board. You are so flippin talented! Next time you and Chris have a vacation cold you pleeeeeeease to come house?
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I am seriously impressed. You guys did a great job. I love that tile and the beadboard looks awesome! Huge transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your laundry room looks wonderful...it always feels good when you everything is done right even down to the walls and behind things...yay..great job great post I am making sure I am a follower

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you did not disappoint with your transformation! The addition of the beadboard makes the space and the baskets on top of the washer finish it off so nicely! Congrats to you for making the most of such a tiny space.

    Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Really nice! I love seeing others who DIY everything themselves like we do. It takes a long time and a lot of energy, but it's so nice when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, what a job! Thank goodness for Chris's Dad. All that hard work sure paid off because it looks fabulous!! I'm sure you're loving it.
    I'm a new follower and hope you can stop by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  20. You guys did a great job! I love that tile floor, I'll have to check out your office post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The flooring and beadboard make such a big difference - great job! I'm very jealous of this clean and organised laundry space, mine is a dark hole under my house (don't tell anyone!) xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! I love the floor the most! Now I really really want to redo our laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! That looks so great now! Lots of work but I bet it's so worth it!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't you love how you start a "quick" job and it becomes a huge project - for us it was our bathroom and the exterior wall. I was watching your transformation and I liked it all except the height difference between the new cabinet and the stacked washer/dryer. I love how you balanced it with the baskets. You did an amazing job! Or, I guess your husband and his dad did!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! I had Pax closets in my previous house an I ADORE how flexible they are.

    I also had to comment on the 1000s of red plastic cups in the kitchen.. I am guessing you must either be having a beer pong or flip cup tournament. That is the only justifiable reason to have that many! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this! It turned out. Absolutely beautiful!


    Danielle
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful chronicle of the transformation. The end result looks so fantastic. I am sure that you are thrilled with it!!

    Melanie
    www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this!! We also have a really small laundry room and I do believe you have inspired me to give it a makeover! My hubby isn't going to be so pleased! :)

    Following from Home Stories A2Z Linky Party!

    theoliverlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your makeover and I love IKEA too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow. That was a completely epic transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, That looked like a huge job for such a small room and the dry wall coming off with the base board... That room looks so good, all that work was worth it. I just love your blog I am now following on GFC and Linky. I would like to invite you to come visit me @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    I have a Sunday linky party too if you wand to share anything.
    Hope you come
    Roes

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks fabulous!!! The floor looks great and your Ikea purchases are perfect! I must say that that is one of the most epic posts I ever read - that must have taken you forever. Great job though and your room is amazing!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing. I found your blog on the kurtz corner blog hop. You are too funny. Now following.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Go Chris and his Dad! It looks great. I love the tile you chose and the IKEA piece fits like it was made for the space.

    ReplyDelete
  35. First of all Chris and his Dad are super heros for real. The laundry room is amazing. I love everything. The flooring is perfect for the space. The wainscoting on the walls really adds a very nice element to the room. The furniture piece was perfect...can't believe no one thought of that previously. The baskets are fabulous and I love the light fixture. Thank you for this wonderful post! I would love it if you would share this at our What’s It Wednesday blog party. Hope to see you there.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. It started like the laundry room was an afterthought and now it looks like a well planned intentional space. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That really is an AMAZING transformation! Thanks so much for sharing at Beautify It Monday - We hope you'll come back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ahhhh...love to see madeover laundry rooms! I did ours last summer, and it's one of my favorite rooms in our house! Thanks for sharing at Wow Me Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! Great job...it's beautiful! (Over from Coastal Charm...) Congrats! wendy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great work on your lovely little laundry space! What a difference you made - and once again I loved reading through the whole process and seeing the pictures too!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. UH-Maaazing transformation, girl! Y'all did good!! I love everything about the new laundry room. Great choice on the floor.
    BTW I'm just down south a little bit in suburb north of Houston. We're practically neighbors...considering the big, big world of blogging. Hope y'all made it through the storms/tornadoes okay.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  42. Awesome job! I love it :o)

    -Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, so much better! Sometimes it's the smallest rooms that cause the most trouble... :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. That turned out amazing. The floors are gorgeous. Love everything about your laundry transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Loved this transformation!!! The floors are beautiful and it flows so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow! What a lot of work for such a small space, but it really paid off. Looks amazing. Thanks so much for linking up at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  47. Okay, you had me at the EVER tagline on your HOH submission. So you set the bar high. I mean, really. And I'm judgmental. Not a hater, so don't hate. But when you tell me EVER I expect amazing. So please tell Chris (and his bat signal answering dad) they do amazing work! Best EVER!

    And this was a long post. And I'm a busy lady. My teen son is out at a movie, my tween is playing a computer game, my beagle is snoring up a storm, and a How I Met Your Mother repeat is on the TV. See, crazy busy household here. But I hung in there. Only because you are a very entertaining 20-something!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  48. The transformation is wonderful. You really utilized your small space very well. I don't really understand what people have against IKEA. I think if you choose carefully, they have some very well-made items. We've used several of their Expedits in different rooms of our home, & no way are those things going to be falling apart anytime soon. I like the baskets & have used some of those as well. Congrats on a a great room redo!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great makeover! I am in the middle of a bathroom makeover and have been inspired! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great makeover - love the new space. Also I love that you think he was 50% aware of what he was getting into when he married you, sometime I wonder if mine was even that certain of what he was getting!
    Have a great day. ~Amy @ Permanent Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  51. OMGoodness!!! You guys ROCK! I'm totally in love with that floor. The beadboard and the storage are awesome too! Great work!

    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  52. Those little surprises are never fun, but your new laundry room looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  53. You and your hubs did a fabulous job - such a challenging space, but you made it charming and functional!

    Now, for your question on IKEA. I LOVE IKEA - if you are careful with your selection, you will find that they make a quality product. In fact, we just completely gutted and remodeled our entire house - and we chose an IKEA kitchen (if you would like to see our transformation here is the site:
    http://cdm-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/2012/04/kitchen-final-reveal.html). We have also used the EXPEDITE bookshelves, a nightstand, a headboard, a dresser, and a buffet in our "new" house. I'll feature all these in future posts. So, you can see that we are "sold" on IKEA (and we have to travel three hours one way to get to the closest store).

    BTW - I found your blog via the Uncommonly Yours Link Party.
    Hugs and Happy Easter -
    Carol @arewethereyet

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow, great transformation! I love the tile and the extra storage - nice job. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I ADORE your stone floor. where did you get the stones??? I love these. THESE ARE THE ONES that you actually find in Italian farm houses.

    Look great! Thank you for sharing it at our linky party http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Im glad you like em! I got them at a local granite and marble auction here in Dallas but you can also get them at Home Depot... they are just 3x6 travertine pavers... and I love them... Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  56. Stunning makeover, just love it!
    Will be featuring it tomorrow
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  57. I know I already left you a comment, just wanted to say how happy I am that you are getting featured all over! You totally deserve it (give your hubby something extra since he worked so hard too!).

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  58. Seriously. Amazing. Makeover. Adore the floor and the beadboard. I'm a bit obsessed with beadboard myself. Your hubby is quite the handy guy! Well done to the two {or three} of you!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  59. This is an incredible transformation! I love how you took us along on your journey with the pictures and commentary on your post. It is a beautiful room!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  60. You two did an amazing job on this makeover! Props to you! Thanks for linking up at The Kurtz Corner, you have been featured today! Stop by, check it out, and grab a featured button! :) You will also be pinned to The Kurtz Corner Link Party Features Pinterest board!

    http://www.thekurtzcorner.com/2012/04/tuesday-tutorials-link-party-no-31.html

    http://pinterest.com/Thekurtzcorner/the-kurtz-corner-link-party-features/

    ReplyDelete
  61. That looks great!
    And I love how your post tells a story. Entertaining and informative.
    Great job and after all the hub bub, it is so worth it!
    I am so glad you came by to link up to the party at Embracing Change!
    Please come back this week again! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  62. Stunning makeover, love the floor. I also like how you balanced the top by adding the baskets. Your posts are always so entertaining. Great job!! There's no hope for mine, it's down in the dungeon. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I'm not an Ikea hater! I love that place. Seriously. But probably mostly because our budget is quite tiny. I love the makeover, though! Complete transformation. I think my favorite part is how you guys decided to bring that beadboard into the laundry room for a more seamless look. Successful week of updating and remodeling!

    ReplyDelete
  64. The room looks great! Our last house was built in the fifties and I am very familiar with starting a 'small' project only to end up with much larger issues! (we also frequently fall into the 'while we're at it' and might as wel' trap)
    Love the beadboard - you can never go wrong with beadboard

    ReplyDelete
  65. I featured this today! Duh...how could I not? It's kind of amazing and everything that I want!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Girl, this is so Drab to Fab! I would love to trade laundry rooms with you now, please! This week's party is live again, thanks so much for linking up all of your great posts to the party!

    http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/04/drab-to-fab-link-up-12-features.html

    Congrats! Have a lovely weekend! :)

    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  67. Featured! Thanks for linking up!

    http://makinglemonadeblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/refresh-your-nest-friday-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  68. What an amazing makeover!! Totally LOVE it!! We loved having you at our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday.' We hope you'll be back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  69. Great way to utilize the space in your 'grown-up room'...
    good job! love the color and the tile is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Love your blog!! My hubby and I just made our 1st trip to IKEA (Atlanta) today...we are in LOVE!!He even agreed to go back with me when we shop for our house (when it's done). You're husband is a better sport than mine. LOL I'm the doer, he's the watcher and picture taker. :0) I don't mind, my mom is a DIY'er and my dad was general contractor, it's in my blood! I look forward to more of your posts!~Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Wonderful Transformation! You had very little room to work with, but you, your husband, and his father really did make it work. I have to say, we don't currently have a house and every one of them we have looked at as been a fixer upper that is in our price range here in MO. Your blog and many other DIY Blogs really help families like us with ideas to brighten and fancy-up bull old nasty rooms and furniture. I really appreciate people like you. Thanks for sharing and keep it up!

    *Ashly*

    P.S. I was born and lived in Texas for a long time, moved to MO a while back and met the love of my life here, so I stayed. I lived in Denison, Sherman, Amarillo, Borger, and Hereford TX. I do miss TX a lot. My whole family lives down there. Mainly in Amarillo and Denison/Sherman.

    ReplyDelete
  72. I love the new laundry room! Baskets are a fetish of mine ... both wire and natural. Loved reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
  73. It looks beautiful! It's funny how a little project always turns into much more.
    I guess I am the only one who loves Ikea.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Really, really great makeover. I especially like the storage cabinet. I thought it was hiding your hot water heater?? If you upgrade to a tankless water heater, they are so small you don't even really need to hid them!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Is there a chance you remember which door you purchased? I have looked online and I'm not finding one that looks like yours. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  76. The room looks great! Our last house was built in the fifties and I am very familiar with starting a 'small' project only to end up with much larger issues! (we also frequently fall into the 'while we're at it' and might as wel' trap)
    Love the beadboard - you can never go wrong with beadboard

    ReplyDelete
  77. i see this is an old post of yours, however, it popped up when i searched on google. i was searching for ways to stack a standard washer and dryer. i don't want to buy the stacked unit. anyway...my question to you is how did you stack your washer and dryer? did you use any of the frames/brackets i have seen on line? or did you just put them on top of each other?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images