DIY Astro Turf Koozie

1:28 PM

For all those hiding under a rock for the last 72 hours, this past weekend marked the opening of one of the greatest seasons of sports... College football.

Since Chris and I are the only Sooner fans in our group with a house, we decided to host a little get together with our other Dallas/Oklahoma Sooners.

Out of the two of us, Chris is Mr. Chef Boy R D Boyardee when it comes to cooking for a crowd and I usually handle the decor and making sure the house looks presentable.

This time, I wanted to try something a little different and special since we were all so excited that our football boys were back in action.... so, I attempted to make Koozis... out of AstroTurf.

Step 1: I ran to Home Depot and bought 2 linear ft of green AstroTurf...
Two liner ft was WAY more than I needed, but at only $2.67 a liner foot, I figured I might as well get some extra.

Step 2: When I got home, I measured a normal size can both in width...
....8.5 inches...
 And height of how tall I wanted the koozi to be...
...4 inches...
 Step 3: I marked my AstroTurf on the back (easier to make and follow cuts) and sliced out a couple of strips
 To make it a little more personal Boomer Sooner-ific, I decided to spice them up a bit.
 Step 4: Spray paint...
They didnt have "Crimson" or "Cream" so "Colonial Red" and "White" had to work in a pinch :-)
For my first run, I made one red, one white, and left one green...
Step 5: I printed off an "OU" I found online and cut it out to use as a stencil.
 Also making sure that I covered the previously spray painted turf to make sure I ONLY sprayed the "OU".
 Step 6: Admire your work...
 Awesome...

Step 7: After everything is dry, wrap the AstroTurf around a full, unopened beer...
 And using a hot glue gun, glue the two ends together.
Side note: Make sure and use a icy, cold beer to make sure the hot glue won't stick. It also allows the glue to dry quickly and the Koozi to slip off with easy after the glue has cooled.
 Step 8:  Using an extra scrap of AstroTurf, hot glue it to the bottom of your koozi to make sure the beer wont fall through the bottom.
Having the "grass" facing the bottom of the beer will help catch any condensation and allow the bottom flat part to sit even
Step 9: ENJOY!!!
 Here's Sam and Chuck enjoying their matching koozis and shirts right before the game...
 And all my boys...
 FYI Ladies... Jared (left), Sam (middle) and Chuck (black shirt) are single... the one on the right is taken, sorry...

So there you have it....
 My DIY collegiate Astroturf koozis....
You don't HAVE to spray paint them (I preferred to keep my as JUST AstroTurf) but I recommend just having fun with it!!
Also, if you have little ones, these would be really fun to use for sodas...

So what do you guys think? Something fun, different, great for Fall and football season!!  I would love to know what you would have spray painted on your AstroTurf koozis!!

Have fun!
-Samm







You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. This is such a cute idea!! I am so doing this for the Aggies' first home game this weekend! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to this, I can only add: BOOMER SOONER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea!!! You're so crafty and i love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. It's hard to find craft projects that guys would actually like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I bet they were a hit with the guys. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boomer Sooner! My husband is a huge OU fan (originally from Dallas) and he would LOVE these. I love the different colors too. Thanks for sharing at Lines Across!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well OU of course! These are so fun. I went to grad school at OU and lived in OK for 31 years of my life. Miss the southwest, but not the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking up with Mop It Up Mondays this week! You are being featured today on our new series, The Tuesday Ten: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/09/the-tuesday-ten_11.html.

    Have a great week!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! Koozi's eh? We call them stubby holders here in Australia!! - have to admit though, I like the name Koozi !! I covered some old ones of mine with colour fur and sparkly material for me - but this is just perfect for the boys!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome idea!!! Boomer Sooner! Beat Texas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard that the turf turns your hands green. How did these do? Maybe spraying a clear coat over it would help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Courtni!... Honestly, we havent had any problems with the turf turning our hands green at all. Maybe there are different types of turf that people should be careful with, but with the stuff I bought at Home Depot, we havent had any issues. Thanks for the tip though!

      Delete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images