The Deck... pt 3... building part DONE!

8:13 AM

We're done! We're done!
We're almost done! We're almost done!

To say "done" on ANY project is a bit of an over statement, so lets just say we've mostly "completed" our back deck....

Last we left off, we were here:

To catch up on previous weeks, click HERE for week 1 and HERE for week 2
During the time in between weekends, Chris installed some lattice on the west-facing part of the deck to add a little more privacy and shade for when we have those hot summer sun sets here in Texas.

While attempting to get a closer shot... Rocky got in the way...
Which then lead to me think "Where's Gus?"...and then I had a mini major panic attack.

You can see, the gate was open and I was missing one small white and fluffy pup. After about 5 minutes of convincing myself I was the worlds worst mom pet-owner... I found him...
Yes, he was under there the whole time... While I yelled and yelled and almost got in my car to search for him... he was here.
If he wasnt so cute, I could've killed him...Facing boards and additional lattice around the deck go up this week...

May the project continue!....
Since the building the pergola was priority #1 (more pergola = more shade to work on other projects) Chris, his dad, and his uncles started right up...
So more planks were added...
And building was underway...

Chris's dad and Chris's uncle helped finish off the stairs...
While Chris made sure to nail in the brackets to support the planks..
Arent they pretty?
Looking good!

Even got the last major support beam installed!

And then it was time to talk about furring strips.

Remember back last week when I chose this style:
Over this one...
...Because I wanted it to be more "open"?

Yea, I was wrong.
(quick Chris, mark down the date because you will probably never hear me utter that phrase again... I joke, I joke... .... ... ... but really. Mark it down)

I dont know if I was thinking it was going to be larger slats or what, but after seeing how they looked a foot apart, I hated it.  And it provided NO shade (whole reason we are putting up this sucka in the first place).

So closer and closer they got... and even debated putting lattice on top instead of furring strips
Which I quickly "exnehed"...

And we decided to go with a 4" gap...
Which looks awesome...
And provides shade!
Ha-zah!

 Honestly, how good is this starting to look?!


And here's where we ended the day:
The next morning, I came out see Chris swinging from the rafters...
Thank GOD he was just sitting on them, but still... no wife wants to see that.
Blake was nice enough to came back over to help finish up.
(We have since determined that as long as we own this house, Blake has the right to sit wherever he wants on the deck.  If he wants a chair that someone is already sitting in, Blake gets to call "Deck rules" since he helped build about 50% of it, which technically makes it HALF his... I am eager to see this "rule" actually take place.... After we get furniture... ... .... and as long as its not MY chair...)
So up the furring strips went!!

But Gus was kind enough to point out what was still missing...
Yes, facing boards to keep the pups OUT from under the deck...

Here is the left side...(still missing one final board)
And the right side...
SOOO much better...
Doesnt that look purdy?!!!

Chris's Dad was even nice enough to put facing boards on the side of the stairs as well!

Chris and Blake also whipped up some railing for the stairs...
(sorry about the candid picture hunny...)

and after that, plus some clean up, here is what we had starring us back in the face...
Totally loving the two step pergola!

And actually, THIS is the first picture I took... but Rocky is kinda ruining it/making it awesome...
Seriously, I couldnt have TRAINED him to be anymore inappropriate during our "after" picture if I tried... good potty, Rocky... good potty...

And just because I teased you last week, here is a picture of the garage sale rocking chairs I made over in their new home...
And my favorite part... the quick little scroll through of our process... three weeks in the making...
 We still have a LOT to do:

- wait for the wood to dry out so we can paint/stain it... (still deciding on colors but we have some time since it typically takes 4-6 weeks for wood to fully dry out and accept a stain)

- Get some furniture (even though it does look really good just standing on it.. people WOULD probably like a place to sit)

- Put up some patio string lights (UPDATE: Read about how we saved $223 on great looking lights HERE)

- Put up something for mosquito prevention (there will be NO Tiki Torches on my lawn... nope never, ever, ever)

- Build a planter bed on the left side of the deck and plant some pretty, evergreen vines to hid the lattice

- Reseed the lawn (having all the material sitting out there for 3 weeks did a NUMBER on our lawn  now dead area

- Extend our stone walk way down the right side of the deck where the flower bed and herb garden meet (like we did HERE for our side garden)

Im sure there are a million other things we still have to do that Im currently forgetting, but oh well... the main thing is that the deck is now USABLE!!

Here is the awesome side by side before and after for ya:
 And just to give you some scale, heres a picture of Me and Chris (and Rocky... I dont know where Gus is... hopefully not under the deck since he would be stuck there now)
Sorry its so blurry... its a cell phone pic... icky.

Well what do you guys think? Like it? Eager to see it painted/stained?  Is it what you thought it was going to look like after all that work?  I would L-O-V-E your feedback!

Thanks!
Samm











You Might Also Like

34 comments

  1. Very, very nice! I love how it evolved, and the two step pergola is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is gorgeous, such an awesome transformation of space! Those rocking chairs are a nice touch...I'll have to remember to check back in a while and see what else you've done with it. I can just see it stained and vines growing or potted plants scattered around, jealous of your precious outdoor space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady Samm...even though Gus (my son) is missing from the final family picture, I see a glass of wine - and that makes me happy. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that! You know me and my no-no juice!... and Gus is just camera shy... the good news is that I didnt loose him... 10+ mama points

      Delete
  4. That's an amazing transformation! GREAT job!!! I can't wait to see it stained.

    I was just mapping out some plans for redoing our back deck just the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love it! Great job! Hope to build something similar at our house this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing. I am so jealous. I've been wanting to mine done for over a year and it still hasn't happened. My back yard is a mess. Still can't wait to get it done. Bet it's fabulous sitting out there now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is plain sick-nasty Samm! (only decriptive words I could think of that was appropriate) - Derrick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job ya'll!! Looks great! Definitely calls for a "wine" kind of celebration:) I see a little glass there in the last picture. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking.....hand me that glass of wine in your last pic, I'll take the rockin rocker you made over and set up to wait for more furniture. But, Blake does not get to yell "Deck Rules" on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMAZING JOB!!! You must be so happy!!!
    Regarding the dogs...lol!!! My dog Enzo (I also have 2 dogs) is always trying to get on my pictures... SOmetimes I tell him to go away and he goes but one of his ears or a piece of tail still shows... lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Samm! I'm so glad you're all done (building)! It's looks amazing! I love the pergola and the multi-level, I am so jealous! Can't wait to see the final product :)
    XOXO,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your deck it looks awesome! Lots of hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the deck and pergola, my only concern and you asked for feedback, is the split railing. If you have kids, or guest over with kids, they could fall easily by walking under the railing or falling down the stairs. Ask me how I know.... I'm a mom of 4,one of which fell off a deck which had widely spaced rails.
    Shar

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Samm, fabulous deck. Just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is and also to let you know that I am now following you. Please pop on over to my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I am from New Zealand and have only just started following your blog, but I just love all your stuff! Love this outdoor area! I'm sure alot of awesome memories will now be had out there. Looking forward to seeing it to the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks seriously awesome! I can't wait to see it with furniture and decor (and no tiki torches)! I had to come comment after you said how similar our tastes are and how we both have hot hardworking husbands :) I actually read your blog and was thinking the same thing the other day reading about the beginning of your deck. It's so nice to have a group of men that are willing to help! Mine aren't free though, they require a constant supply of sweet tea and cookies, lol. Anyway, I'm officially de-lurking myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your rocking chairs look right a home on your handsome new deck! Love the deck, you are so going to enjoy it for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks awesome!Loved the pictures of Gus UNDER the deck :-)
    You two are the hardest working "kids" I know!
    Don't see any pictures of your Mommy helping??

    ReplyDelete
  19. You guys did an amazing job, it looks wonderful! The chairs look perfect on the decking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing job, it is going to be really great when you get the vines growing and everything decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. An ambitious project that looks like it turned out just right. Enjoy the deck lots before it gets too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up your project to Mauvin' Monday! When you get a chance, don't forget to stop by and share your Twitter account on the new Tweet Leap!

    http://www.vintagemauve.com/2012/05/01/its-a-tweet-leap-and-referral-love-too/

    Cheers,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  23. AMAZING!!! Great before and after shots - what a fabulous deck to have - I'm sure it will be well used and loved! Great work!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! Looks great! So worth it! I like the last pic w/ the glass of wine...it reminds me of me & my hubby. Enjoy your beautiful deck! Stopping over from Reasons to Skip the Housework...I just posted our kitchen makeover DIY. Hope you can check it out! http://www.redheadcandecorate.com/4/post/2012/02/one-special-kitchen.html

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  25. It turned out beautiful! Rocky is gorgeous! My Max passed away when he was only five from cancer. It's been ten years and we are just now looking for another one to bring into our family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It came together beautifully! All that hard work really paid off!

    Thanks for sharing at Beautify It Monday!

    -Four Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks so great!! I can't wait to see it after you get it all dressed up, but it is amazing just plain. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks great, Samm! Lots of work...but, worth it! Thanks for linking up with us @ "Toot Your Horn Tuesday"...love your projects and can't wait to see what you link up next!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your web looks absolutely gorgeous. I was thinking to follow each other. Tell me what you think :X

    Regards!

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, Samm! I just now had a chance to get back to your blog and see what's new and I'm blown away -- as usual! It looks great -- I will definitely be checking back to see it stained and "dressed up"! You better never move because I feel like I'm watching a child grow as I watch your house transform! You rock with all your talent! And, just so you know, at least half these kudos go to Chris, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a great article and it looks like this was a big project. Building a deck can be a long process but it is defiantly worth it in the end. My wife and I just had one built onto our house last spring. We got to enjoy it during this summer and it really lets you enjoy your back yard more. We found it hard picking out all the different products we wanted used. I would recommend people to research about TAMKO Shingles Lawsuit before looking at other stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images