DIY Safe to Eat, Homemade Play-Doh Recipe

12:17 PM

Since Brooks is now getting into everything (read: EVE-RY-THING), I figured it was about time to introduce him to some mommy-approved messy stuff. (Apparently my thinking is the house is TOO clean)

Play-doh itself is one of the greatest inventions known to mankind, but since B is in his "everything-MUST-go-in-my-mouth" stage, I figured I would see if I could make our own with ingredients I wouldn't freak out about if ingested (I draw the line as random pieces of dog kibble and dust bunnies).

After trolling the internet a little, I mixed and matched some recipes I found and created the below which worked great for us.
When you first put everything in, it looks a bit like porridge and pretty liquidy.
 After 2-3 min on a low heat (I think I had ours around a level 3), it started to clump up and become a lot thicker as I spooned it around the pot.  I was worried about it burning, so I just kept a slow stir going the entire time.

You will notice its "done" when its thick enough to form in a ball and all the ingredients clump together.
 It still will be pretty warm (too hot for little hands) so let cool at least 15 minutes.
 Before dishing it out to a kiddo, kneed it up a bit to make sure there are no random hot spots.

Then, set in front of your freakishly adorable 10 month old and enjoy!
Brooks like to hit it with his palm and I rolled some pieces up to create different sizes for him to play with.
When you roll them, its doesn't HAVE to look like poop, that's just the shape mine took... sorry about that. I guess we now know why they don't make play-doh in brown.
 Brooks loved moving the round, ball shaped ones.  It was fun to see him figure out the difference between moving the long ones with his hands and then only needing his finger to move the larger balls.  Very Montessori learning.

He even invited me to get in on the action.
Such a good little sharer.

After playtime was over, I balled everything up and put it in a glass pyrex in the fridge and we were able to use it for 2 more days before I tossed it out.

At one point, Brooks did try to eat it but the overwhelming salt taste made him stop pretty darn quickly.  It did make his hands a bit salty, but definitely no dirtier than playing with playdoh.  Super easy clean up just using a wet rag.

I think next time I make it, I'm going to throw some food coloring in there just for fun.  Fingers crossed it won't stain B's hands, but I will let you know.

Has anyone else ever made homemade play-doh?  Any other fun at-home recipes you know about?

-Samm

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Bagua water and sky in the cast Classic Ugg Boots Sale while instantly point out Cheap Ugg Boots Sale the eight spiritual power.Eight water blue spiritual power, under constant change instantly transformed Ugg Bailey Button Triplet Sale Bailey Button Ugg Boots Sale into condensed water eight three-legged black.

    A three-meter-high giant Mens Ugg Boots Sale water blue light in the sky gathering palm out, upon closer scrutiny is divided into eight dynasty palm, on which numerous small water rushes jump, eight dynasty continued operation of the palm, disaggregated Plus, actually faint into yin and yang Kids Ugg Boots Sale tai chi trend.

    Twinkling of an eye, a Cheap Ugg Boots Online powerful force of oppression from Cheap Uggs Sale that huge blue water spread Uggs Bailey Bow Sale over larger Cheap Uggs Uk hands, larger hands centers, there Cheap Uggs Online was a swirl of blue water, with an Cheap Ugg Boots Uk attractive twisting force.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images