Garage Sale Window Panes turned Kitchen Art

10:06 AM

A post about a garage sale find???!!!! (I will give you all time to recover from the shock... ... ...)

With the remodel of the laundry room and finishing my super cute frame wall in the kitchen, there was only one part of the kitchen that I just wasnt feeling.... our wall utensils...

please enjoy this rump shot courtesy of Gus and Rocky giving you the stink-eye while eating dinner... soak it in...you're welcome
They just seemed heavy and didn't really go with the whole shabby chic theme our little, miniscule, petite, teensie, tiny, small kitchen was going for.

 Here's a couple more pictures of how they looked...

Yea, they just didn't "go".

So when I found these window frames at a local garage sale for $5 a piece, I pounced on them...
Of course I didnt now where I was going to put them right away (I knew it would come to me later and for $10, it was worth the minor wait)
After consulting both Chris and my mother (thank GOD for "face time") We all decided to finally remove the oh-so-large utensils (which I never planned on using... unless Chris was/is planning on making me some super large bowl of spaghetti, then we'll talk about it...)
As I was cleaning and washing down the old window panes, preping them for their debut, Chris marked them for their picture framing hooks...
While we worked in the driveway, we also had a spectator peaking through the backyard gate...
Oh Bean....
Yes, I am the mother to the world's cutest dog... I know...

But back to the window panes, Chris did what he does (installed the frame hooks) and we were good to go...
But before we hung them, I wanted make use of the one panes that was missing glass in the middle... So I measured out about five inches down from the top of the frame...
And decided to lace it with some burlap twine I had laying around...
And hot glue-gunned it on each side...
After I cut off the remanding strands, I was left with a taught tweed twine...(say that 5x fast)...

Once we hung the window panes up, I decided to use a clothes pin and our old "Thank You" from our wedding which my mom helped us create...
Lavender was a theme throughout our wedding so it only seemed fit that we included a bundle with the Thank You as well...
Here's the finished product all hung up and pretty like...
 So what do you guys think? I know its kinda super shabby chic, but with the additions of the frames, Im kinda feelin' it.  We can always change out the "Thank You" with a cute black and white picture or "burlap inspiration of the month" but for right now, it kinda works.





Have you guys ever done anything with old window frames? I also made a photo frame out of one which is currently in our laundry room as seen here, but I would love to know what y'all think!

-Samm











You Might Also Like

39 comments

  1. Cuuuute! OMG, so much better than the mammoth utensils. Those are cute too, but you're right about them being too big for your space. You'll find a new home/use for them, I'm sure.

    I really need to start garage sale-ing. My Saturday morning motivation is about 0.4 out of 10, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I think they frames are perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the windows a lot better. They seem to really fit the space better.

    Thanks for the follow. Following back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these turned out great and I like them much better than the oversized utensils! I am making a cold frame with a couple of old windows but I've also used them as wall art, frames, etc. They have a ton of personality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the gals above and you. These fit the space way better than the pitchfork and spoon. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great improvement. I think I'd add pictures or fabric behind the other windows. Alternately, I'd move the "thank you" above to be behind glass and make the space without glass into one of those fabric-covered ribbon bulletin boards like this one: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-ribbon-bulletin-board/index.html

    We have an old window leftover from a home improvement project, but it's HUGE so I haven't figured out anything to do with it yet. I'll keep my eye out for smaller windows like this, though -- what a neat project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's adorable, love those in that space! You could get creative with a dry erase marker on some of the glass panes, inspirational quotes or your grocery list! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so funny! I enjoy reading your blog! The windows are perfect there. You can tape up snapshots or postcards of your travels on the panes. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute window art!!!

    I wanted to let you know I gave you the Kreativ Blogger Award! Come check out the page at http://thependletonhouse.blogspot.com/2012/05/thanks-emily.html and remember to pass it along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love what you did to those. cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Def like those better! Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so much better than the giant utensils! I love how you added the twine across the broken pane. The lavender and thank you note is a really sweet touch, and it would be really easy to change it out for something else! Are you going to add anything to the other panes?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great project and now following! Tanya :)

    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think they look wonderful! I'm not big on big utensils (dumb joke, I know), but I love chippy old windows!

    Thanks for sharing them at Knick of Time Tuesday!

    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think they look super shabby, great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The artwork switch looks great! I love old windows used in decor and have one tucked away myself that I keep meaning to hang. The thank you note (and all the fonts) looks lovely. Sometimes simplicity is best :)

    Linking up from Creatively Living!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy I stopped in ~ love the windows!!
    Perfect addition to your cute space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love them. They fit your space perfectly. I have pinned this to my Pinterest boards. Would love to have you come link up at the Creative Corner Hop.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the windows! This is a great space for them. I really like your idea of stringing the twine and adding changeable items with the clothes pin. Beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love them! Too bad you can't have a giant bowl of spaghetti now but I think the frames are a big improvement. So much more character. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aren't old windows the best?!!! I love them IN a house as much as ON a house! Thanks for sharing your lovely pair at Knick of Time Tuesday - I'll be featuring you next week and there will be an "I Was Featured" button waiting there for you!

    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it looks great! I never seem to find any old windows at yard sales, but I love the look of them.
    Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. YOur window frames look great!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it is safe to agree that the old windows are a hit! and they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Samm, IT'S PERFECT! You were right, it was well worth the wait! I'm visiting from No Minimalist Here and I'm now following you. I would appreciate it if you could follow back. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm SO JEALOUS of your find on those windows! They were a great find! I absolutely LOVE THEM!!! I've been wanting to find something similar (with a similar price tag, mind you) myself! Thanks so much for sharing with us @ Toot Your Horn Tuesday!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! It is so simple and so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your window wall, they look great! Visiting from Chronic Christian Crafter. I'm now following

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the window being repourposed! And not hard to do at all. Love it! visiting you from www.mycreativelyvintagelife.com and www.thepickinpair.blogspot.com. Now following you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Unique and Intersting. Whenever i am at this blog I am always curious as what you have deviced. Always something interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love those old chippy windows!
    I am kicking myself right now as I passed some up today, but I didn't want to pay what they were asking! I love your though :o)
    Thansk for linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like it! I always see all these great old window projects, but I can never find any old windows.

    ReplyDelete
  33. love your windows with thank you card.
    came over from Knick of Time

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are a girl after my heart...I have old window everywhere and your look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. i liked it alot.. i have a six pane one in my dining room that i put silver matte boards with cute black n white pics of my kids, and nailed a small piece of white wood on the bottom to make it look like a window sill...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images