Not a yard sale, but yard WORK...

3:53 PM

Surprise, surprise! It's not a furniture post!



Since the main reason for this blog is to include my not-so-facebook-savy-but-still-totally-love-them family, I figured I would update you on actual house-HOUSE project...



Cue this past week when Chris came home from work. He said "hello" to me, then 10 seconds later was outside with a chainsaw...Hard day at work hunny???


lol, he was actually just cutting down a large branch in our front yard on the other side of the sidewalk that had been needing to come down for a while (the shade of it blocks the sun from a yard which makes it pretty hard to grow any type of grass).


Here is a better picture of how large the tree is in the front...
Chris looks WAY too comfortable with a chain saw... Anywho, back when we first moved in, one of our first projects was to redo the front yard... Here is the "before" when we first moved in...and the after... Nothing too crazy... but we lined it with red brick hedging, added some cute little flowers, and got all patriotic with our American flag (duh)...

Again, this was back in June (during what must have been the HOTTEST day of the year... not the recommended time to do yardwork and NOT collaspe of heat stroke) and our yard really took to the new plants... maybe a little too well... .... ... seriously, it was like Jumanji took over our front yard... I could walk down the front walk with my hands to my side and could touch the top of the flowers... (negative blogging point for not having a picture of that... instead, here is an actual picture of Jumanji)...


(yea, our yard looked a lot like this... minus the floating Robin Williams head, raging Rhinos, board game and rolling dice... but other than that, the EXACT same...)

But luckily for us, my parents came in town this past weekend which has slowly turned into "Yay it's parents weekend!" to "Yay my parents are here, let's get sh*t done around the house!"... And since Fall is upon us, we decided to tackle the front yard...
But before my mom and I left for the nursery to pick out some new jazz for the walkway, Chris went ahead and pulled up all our old flowers...
And by flowers I mean "what used to be flowers turned raging flowered bushes"... its was there time to go...

So my mom and I head to the plant nursery where I was already stunned to see flocked Christmas trees (IT'S NOT EVEN THANKSGIVING!!! THIS IS WRONG!)

But NEXT to the way-too-soon trees was this lovely array...
Kale...

Yep! Kale/Cabbage plants... How freakin FUNKIE are those?!

Here is a close up of the pink... The purple...
and the white....
Yea, those are super pretty... and so different!! I MUST HAVE THEM... but at $9 a pop and a two-sided 25ft walkway... they were a bit too pricey... luckily my madre came to the rescue and said she would split it with me... ... i love my mom.

(Random cut in for a side story... I ran into this guy while at the nursery)....
(I may or may not have chased him throughout the entire nursery yelling out "Butterfly!" like a 3 year old and trying to take a picture with my iphone)(So pretty... I named him Barnaby... Barnaby the Butterfly)


ANYWAY, back to my Kale... we ended up buying 18... (only 12 pictured here)... and a flat of pansy for below our front window...Seriously? They are stupid pretty...


We also made an impromptu stop at Home Depot (aka. my favorite place on Earth)... and spotted this sucker on clearance... Hooray for finally replacing our old-icky-spider/bug infested-old one!! (minus another blogging point for not having a picture of its prior ickiness)

So we get home and are back to this...
After we bag up and toss all the old flowers, we get to planting... Hooray for mother/daughter time!!!
Live action shot... I told Chris not to take a picture of my face since I was in my glasses and not wearing any make up... i love that he actually listens to me ...
Getting closer!! Wait for it... BAM...
Kale in someones front yard? I know, its weird and I love it... on the plus side, we will always have kale if we want to make a salad! (that turned out to be false).


The guy at the nursery said they would get about 15in tall and 15-18" wide, so it will really fill out once we give it the chance... I'll keep you updated.


Here's everyone all pretty and planted...

Heres a picture of our pretty pansies (Theta represent!) that are below our front window...
don't worry... they'll grow
And our new light?? Compliments of handy-man Chris... whooo.....ahhhh.... I particularly like that it doesnt have a bottom, so we wont have to worry about creepy dead things dying in there and me having to ask Chris to clean it out... oh, the little things...
So there you have it! What do you think?!

I know our USA flag isnt up, but since our old one ripped (got stuck on the side gutter) we ordered a new one by paying $15 to send a care package to a US troop (which also comes with a free flag for us!)... I highly recommend everyone forgo their weekly manicure or chinese takeout and instead use that money to brighten up a soldier's day... you can buy the $15 care package HERE

Let me know what you all think about the front yard! Has anyone ever planted kale before? Or had their hopes crushed by their husbands when they got all excited about "free salads"?
I would love to hear from you!!!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. As a self-proclaimed vegetable connoisseur, the best things (in my opinion) to do with kale are to saute it with olive oil and garlic, perhaps adding some palm nuts, and serve it as a side with a dark meat like steak (this preparation also compliments sweet potatoes and squash), or to use it in a broth-based soup like chicken and vegetable or beef and barley. The only thing is, I'm not sure if decorative kale is also edible...it might be tougher than the variaties intended as food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omega well enclosed that GMT face while not louis vuitton replica sale helping to make that sit back and watch surface at the same time rather busy. I really like that the special warning signs in the 25 60 minutes climb can be concerning the natural 60 minutes guns, without having it within just and over half of those. Omega supplies a few adaptation belonging to the Omega Seamaster 300M Chronograph GMT Co-Axial. You (that ref. 212. 50. 46. fifty-two. 01. 001) is known for a black colored face gucci replica sale through green accents although several other (ref. 212. 50. 46. fifty-two. goal. 001) is known for a red face through stained hermes replica sale accents. Each individual is known for a distinct bezel tone on top of that to that face. My group is not even utterly for sure can easily experience that "smaller" additional no time face with words on the inside the application. As i believe that it is an inspired integration in other words, though usually As i look into the face and even believe rolex replica sale that submission no time face will be an gauge designed for another fact. Any small quirk belonging to the model, within saddest. Chronograph rolex replica sale GMT running watches moreover generate decent day by day be dressed in articles if you happen to enjoy "intricate knobs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images