Garage saling… yes, it’s a verb

9:43 PM

Even though it was OU/TX this weekend here in Dallas (aka. The weekend where Dallas doubles in size, traffic is awful, and Oklahoma and Texas play each other on a neutral field here in Dallas… only 194 miles from Norman, OK and 198 miles from Austin, TX), I still wanted to get up somewhat early and head out to some garage sales. My alarm? Our friend Chuck, calling to tell us his on our way over to the house to start pre-gaming… … … … at 8am.


I finally got out of the house around 8:45a and started my normal garage sale hunting route… and yes, I have a “route”.


Not much early on… actually, almost nothing… and since we were having friends over to the house pretty early (the game was at 11a), I decided to head back to the house around 9:30, before one more sign caught my eye…

When I pulled up to the house, this is the adorableness that I found.


(not the best picture, but trust me, its adorable)

The older couple that owned the house (Mark and Donna… we got to talking) were too cute for words. I would have taken a picture of them too, but I think they would have been a little creeped out.



ANYWAY, their garage sale… they had this cute little table that caught my eye and I just feel in love with the lines. For 20 bones, it was mine.

(sorry not the best picture with my cell phone...I may leave it black... or spice it up... not quite sure yet)






By the time I got back, it was 9:55a and I remembered an estate sale that I had my eye on was opening at 10am with everything 50% off… it was right down the street, so I figured I might just stroll on by.

Score.

First of all, I found this table for $25. Bam.




(ohh the possibilities...I even opened the drawer to see who made it… Taylor Made… awesome)





My family friend Kerry, emailed me THIS LINK as some new inspiration and it TOTALLY hit me… I love the colors and really want to try something different like this.






(why heeelllloooo there stripes)(so detailed... it would take a lot of time... but I have a feeling it would be worth it)



As I was admiring my $25 find, I spotted this piece in the same room… marked at $200, but $100 since it was 50% off day (yippie!)


(definitely needs some lovin...)




100% mahogany with just some minor scrapes… Still needs a sanding and a coat of paint, so $100 was a bit high for me…



After texting Chris for his advise, he suggested I try to haggle for $70… Have I mentioned haggling is my specialty? The lady didnt stand a chance...

$70… yes siree




I’m thinking to make it pretty like THIS





(I guess you can say I'm kinda feeling stripes recently...)






Or THIS...

(this may be a nice option since it's 100% mahogany, a deep stain like this may look really good) ------- (UPDATE: this is the winner... I've already sanded down the top and am going to do a deep dark stain! Hooray!)




I would also LOVE to hear your ideas!!



Let me know!!!

Thanks!

-Samm

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love the striped look, but would only paint the small table you got for 25 bucks in stripes! It is such an adorable look, but will be more trendy and you will want to change it down the road. So, I would definitely paint the dresser to look more timeless, like the 2nd dresser with the antiqued white look. I am crazy about the stuff you find and all the great ideas you come up with to re-finish them! See you in a few weeks... can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a garage sale route! I guess I have kind of acquired one too... addicting isn't it? Haha!

    And I like the second pic for the dresser too... good call :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This text is priceless. When can I find out more?


    My website ... Origami Boat - Http://Www.Tkry.Net/Xe/Index.Php?Document_Srl=634900&Mid=Board_YbtK30
    -

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images