Oh so blue... to Vroom Vroom!!

1:15 PM

Hey guys!
So as you may remember, I scored this guy for $5 from this awesome find HERE.
For some reason, I really liked him blue... (and yes, it's a "he"... not sure why...) so when I thought of painting him, I know I wanted to keep him a deep dark blue... probably a navy

So I started my usual sand and prime...Side note, this took a lot longer than originally thought ... doesnt really help that this dresser was in a 1,000 year old home that smelled like kitty litter... dont worry though, I cleaned EVERYTHING out and febreezed it... Totally normal now...

Although I know you cant tell so well by this next pic, but the blue I originally got was way too "baby boy blue"
eh, not my favorite...

When Chris and I first saw this dresser and were discussing what to do with it, Chris had the awesome idea of white racing stripes... close, on either side of the drawer pulls....

This required taping... which took a LOT of time...
Since I prepainted the dresser Swiss Coffee white, I taped over the white and painted it my new color of Deep Navy...
Ohhhhhh fun....

Granted, I did have to go back with white paint and get all the little mis-paints, but it was totally worth it.

While that was drying, Chris helped me tackle the back of this beast... which looked like this...
eh, not so pretty... so we decided to remove it and put up a new one...
Half gone...

and now all gone...
Amazing how simple it looks without a back on it....
(Do you like all our projects in the background??? there's about 12 back there...)

Chris was amazing enough to go to Home Depot (aka the mother-ship) and buy some new plywood... of which he cut, trimmed, and staple-gunned it back to the back... clean and simple

Ohhhhhh pretty.... oh-ah at plywood...

Here's the full frontal...
Since we were going with the racing stripe theme, we decided chrome handles would be the way to go...

5-7 business days later... BAM
Here's the full look with the handles on...
And just again for good measure, here's Chris's pretty handy work....

I'm totally love it... I think it's fun, funky, different, but still totally me...

Here's the before/after for everyone...

Not too shabby if I say so myself... I love seeing the transformation...

I'm actually selling this one if anyone is interested... Here's the link...
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fuo/2726631537.html



What do you guys think? would you have tried a different design? color? I would love to hear everyone's ideas!!

























You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Amazing transformation! Great job!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME!!! Love the color!

    Barbara
    http://chase-thestar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! This is right up my alley...I tend to GT-Stripe everything!
    I actually have a small set of drawers taped up similar to this, ready to be painted!!
    Fast and Furious movies are my fave, which is why I've been striping everything!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great transformation!!! Love the blue with the stripes. Very clever. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would look great in my sons room! May I ask what you did with the original "knobs" I LOVE Them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy! Im so glad you liked it! I actually sold this piece on craigslist to a mother who bought it for her little boys room! Just perfect! Sad to say, the old metal knobs met their fate at the bottom of the trash can... I believe they were originally brass, but were rusted and painted over about 3 times... I did try to salvage them, but to no avail :-(

      Delete
  6. Thanks for another great tutorial. I need to transform our garage into our project space ;) For me, I loved the first baby blue color but hey, that's what is in my boy's room right now. I think the navy works better though with the racing stripes! Thanks so much for linking up to Toot Your Horn Tuesday. You truly do amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just brilliant! I LOVE the racing stripes - unusual and funky!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would look so great in my boys' room! I love how the handles fit perfectly across the stripes - just like you planned it, right? Thanks for linking up @ the Delectable Home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing, great work! Thanks so much for linking up:)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the racing stripes. To be honest I would have never thought of that but I love it. It totally fits the style of this dresser perfectly! Great job. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I think it would be awesome in a boys room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! Great transformation! thank you for sharing at Uncommon! Bonnie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! Very creative! I love your work :)

    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to put racing stripes on it...and I love the shade of blue you ended up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really cool idea. I like the stripes. If I had something to decorate like that, I really like red. So, I would like to decorate a dresser red and use a stencil or scrapbook paper and mod podged it to the top that had a baby boy train design of some sort. The trains would be white and navy and I would alternate the handles white and navy going down each drawer. That's what I plan on doing with my son's room when we move into our two bedroom place. I know that's kinda 4th of July-ish, but I like it. I might even paint the top Navy and use the stencil to paint the trains white. The handles would have to be round white and navy knobs. Okay I am done. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart happy... and I read every ONE of them... thank you so much for taking time to make my day!

Like us on Facebook

Little House in the Big D

Flickr Images